Mexican Rice Recipe
Submited by Laura from Jimenez Chihuahua Mexico
If all cooks were limited to choosing just one main ingredient, it would be rice.
Rice is an essential part of the daily diet in many parts of the world.
Mexican Rice Recipe is a colorful and tasty side dish to accompany most home cooked Mexican meals.
It goes great with refried beans to complement the main course, along with the traditional corn tortillas.
- 4 spoonfuls of sunflower oil
- 2 cups of rice moistened in hot water, then rinsed in cold
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 white onion
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- Salt and pepper added to taste
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1/2 cup tender peas
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped carrots
- 2 whole jalapeno peppers
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 lemon (the juice).
- Blend the tomatoes, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Strain and set aside.
- Fry the rice in the oil.
- Add the blended mixture step 1.
- Fry until crisp.
- Add the celery, peas, carrots, jalapenos, parsley, chicken broth, and lemon juice, with salt added to taste.
- As it begins to steam, cover and continue cooking with low heat.
- Cook until done, a period of about 20 minutes.