Mexican Tortilla Soup
Submited by Laura from Jimenez Chihuahua Mexico
The Mexican Tortilla Soup is one of the easiest classic Mexican dishes.
A small bowl of Mexican Tortilla Soup is a great way to begin a meal.
The Tortilla Soup Recipe possesses all the heartiness of the basic Mexican ingredients, such as chipotle pepper, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and garlic.
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 spoonfuls fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup cooked chickpea beans, peeled
- 1 chipotle pepper (canned)
- 1 peeled and chopped avocado
- 4 ounces Mexican queso fresco or other crumbly fresh cheese cut into 1/2 inch cubes or 3.5 ounces Monterey Jack grated cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream.
- Fry the tortilla strips in hot and enough oil. Stir around in the oil nearly constantly until they are golden and crispy. Place on absorbent paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Blend the tomatoes, garlic and onion. Strain this mixture and set aside.
- Pre-heat a frying pan with 3 spoonfuls of cooking oil.
- Add the blended and strained mixture.
- Once well fried, add the chicken broth, cilantro and chipotle pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper and allow to cook with low heat for 15 minutes.
- Divide the cheese and avocado among the soup bowls.
- Serve a portion of the broth into each bowl, top with a portion of the tortillas strips and 1 tablespoon of sour cream.