Cocido Recipe, also known as Mexican Beef Soup, is a colorful and hearty beef and vegetable soup.The Cocido Soup is a common dish in all parts of Mexico and in every season.The recipe presented here is easy to prepare and following the instructions will result in a hearty and delicious meal in one, with crisp, tender vegetables and meat.The Cocido Soup Recipe can be accompanied by the delicious Mexican Rice, fresh salsas, and the traditional Homemade Corn Tortillas.
- 2 quarts water
- 3 pounds beef shank, cut
- ½ white onion, cut in wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large ears of corn, husked, and cut across the cob into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 2 medium red skin potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1 inch
- ⅓ head green cabbage, sliced
- 2 zucchini cut into 1-inch pieces
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt added to taste
- Hot Sauce added to taste
- Begin to cook the meat in a pot of water.
- At boiling point skim the impurities from the surface as appropriate.
- Add the onion and garlic.
- Reduce the heat and cook until the meat is tender, which takes about 2 hours.
- Add salt to taste, then add the potatoes, corn, carrot, cabbage and celery and continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook just long enough until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Before removing from flame add the cilantro leaves.
Cocido Recipe Tips
- Vegetables and Herbs must always be fresh, as this maintains the quality of flavor.
- Wash the fruit with a brush or sponge, then disinfect for 15 minutes. Rinse and let them air out for a while before applying them to the recipe.
NUTRITIONAL FACTS FOR SOME INGREDIENTES IN THE COCIDO RECIPE
- CARROTS are rich in phosphorus and vitamin A, C, B6 and fiber. Its nutritional potency helps improve vision and maintain healthy skin. It is an antioxidant and is good for the digestion and overall health.
- CELERY contains vitamin C and potassium. It works to cleanse the body of liquid toxins.
- CILANTRO improves and strengthens urinary valve function.
- GARLIC is among the finest of herbs, possessing many nutritional benefits for human health. It is known to strengthen teeth and gums and reduce the effects of rheumatism. It works to lower pressure in the arteries as well as cholesterol.