Menudo recipe is among the most valued, enjoyed and celebrated serving of mom’s home cooked recipes.
It should be noted, however, that those who have never tried Menudo may be wary of the first experience.
For some, its unique and flavorful texture and aroma may seem too difficult or exotic to swallow.
That is why it is essential that the Menudo recipe be well-cooked and exquisitely prepared, with an eye towards presentation.
A positive first experience will invariably lead to a greater appreciation and understanding of why Menudo ranks high in the world as a renowned and traditional culinary experience.
- 2.5 pounds of tripe cut into small squares
- 1.5 pounds of calf's foot cut into 4 pieces
- 1 onion cut in half
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 large can of cooked hominy (pozole)
- 6 Pasilla peppers washed and with seeds removed
- 6 Guajillo peppers washed and with seeds removed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 chopped onion
- 8 sliced lemons
- 8 spoonfuls of powdered oregano
- bread rolls.
- Slow cook in a pot of water the 12 peppers and 2 garlic cloves until the peppers soften.
- Blend the peppers and garlic cloves along with the water they have been cooked in. Strain this mixture and set aside.
- In a large pot with about 2 gallons of water put the calf's foot and tripe along with the onion cut in half and head of garlic and bring to a boil.
- As it commences to boil skim the impurities from the surface as appropriate.
- Cover the pot and continue cooking for approx. 3 hours until the meat softens.
- Add the blended and strained mixture -step No. 2.
- Season with salt and allow to boil for an additional 15 minutes.
- Before removing the pot from the flame, add the can of cooked hominy.
- Serve. Menudo is traditionally served with each serving accompanied by small dished portions of powdered oregano and fresh chopped onion and eaten with bread rolls.
Many Mexican recipes call for chilli peppers. You can control how spicy the food will be by the type of chilli peppers and the amount used.
NUTRITIONAL FACTS FOR SOME INGREDIENTES IN THE MENUDO RECIPE
- GARLIC is among the finest of herbs, possessing many nutritional benefits for human health. It is known to strengthen teeth and gums and reduce the effects of rheumatism. It works to lower pressure in the arteries as well as cholesterol.
- ONION contains proteins, potassium, selenium, vitamins B12 and 6, niacin and phosphorous. It helps combat the onset of diabetes and is a known anti-carcinogenic. It works to reduce cholesterol and improve blood coagulation. It’s enzymes contribute to oxygen in the blood cells; it improves respiratory function as well as blood circulation. It is a diuretic and helps to purify the organism.