The Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe or Pimientos Rellenos are part of traditional Spanish cuisine, especially that of the region of the Basque Country. Usually, Piquillo peppers are used. The fillings vary from Mango cheese to Chicken or COD in a red sauce; chicken likely being the most popular recipe.
Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers Reicipe is a quick, easy and healthy weeknight meal! All you need to do is subbed turkey for the Beef, for less fat switched the green peppers with red peppers.
I found that a lot of people who don’t like green can enjoy the sweetness of a red. Also, the cooking time was much longer baked the peppers for at least 45 minutes and they were still a little too crunchy. So if you like your peppers on the softer side I would blanch them first. This is a great “starter” recipe because it is very customizable.
- 3 medium size green bell peppers
- Mozzarella cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ pound beef
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup rice, cooked
- ½ can black beans (rinsed)
- 1 large tomato, chopped into small slices
- ⅔ cup Marinara meatless spaghetti tomato sauce
- ⅔ cup water or less
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the skillet on stove top until hot and add olive oil
- Add ground beef and cook it constantly stirring until nicely browned and cooked.
- Remove from heat.
- Drain all excess fat.
- Add 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoon salt to cooked ground beef, stir to combine.
- To the same skillet, off heat, add black beans, chopped tomatoes, and cooked rice.
- Prepare bell peppers for stuffing: cut the tops off, stem and seed them.
- Stuff each bell pepper with the filling.
- Fill the baking dish with marinara spaghetti sauce and up to ⅔ cups of water (don't pour all water at once - just pour enough to make the marinara sauce less dense).
- Put stuffed bell peppers tightly into prepared baking dish, cavity side up. In my case, I used 2 large bread pans.
- Put each pepper with both grated Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle some cheese over the tomato sauce too. Cover with foil
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the peppers are tender and the filling is hot.
- Serve with some of the tomato sauce on the bottom.
And for a bit of advice, it is much better if you cut the bell peppers in a half lengthwise so you could eat it easily and less messy.
For the preparation of Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe first step is;
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir beef in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes; drain and discard grease. Stir 3/4 cup water and taco seasoning into ground beef; simmer until water has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a separate skillet over medium heat; cook and stir rice in the hot oil until fragrant and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup water, salsa, onion, and garlic; bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover skillet and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir ground beef mixture into rice mixture.
- Spoon a layer of ground beef-rice mixture into each bell pepper; top with a layer of Mexican cheese and a layer of nacho cheese-flavored tortilla chips. Repeat layering ingredients into bell peppers, ending with a Mexican cheese layer. Arrange stuffed peppers in a 9×9-inch baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bell peppers are tender and cheese is lightly browned, about 30 minutes. And it is ready to serve after in 1hour and 15mins.
(Note: The instruction are the same and just summarize to make it easy for everyone to understand)
Questions / Suggestions regarding the recipe? Comment below. Also, Don’t forget to Like our Official Facebook Page for our latest Mexican Recipes. Thank You!